Coastal residents who like to boat unguided often start by canoeing the
Russian River below Healdsburg or the
Russian River above Healdsburg.
Central valley residents often start by renting rafts on the
American River Main Stem just east of Sacramento.
A popular but more difficult boat-it-yourself run is
Cache Creek at Rumsey near the Cache Creek Casino.
For guided raft trips, northern Californians usually start with the class III
Trinity River below Pigeon Point to Big Flat.
Central Californians usually start by rafting the class II-III+
South Fork American River near Coloma,
the former state capitol, where Sutter discovered gold.
Southern Californians usually start by rafting the easy
Kern River near Kernville or more difficult
Lower Kern River below Isabella reservoir.
Once you are hooked, many other exciting river trips are available.
Two that should be specially noted are the scenic
Middle Fork American River,
which runs all summer, and the exciting
Tuolumne River below Lumsden.
Outfitters: Wrong phone or website? Is your company not on the list?
Outfitters in California and Nearby
- Action Whitewater Adventures – Half 1 and 2-day raft trips on the South,
Middle, and North Forks of the American. Group and family discounts. 800-453-1482
- Adventure Connection – Over 35 years
offering whitewater rafting trips on the South, Middle and North Forks of the American River,
plus the Kaweah. 800-556-6060
- All-Outdoors California Whitewater Rafting –
Over 35 years experience rafting 10 rivers including South, Middle and North Forks
of the American. 800-24-RAFTS
- American River Recreation – Half day, 1-day and 2-day rafting trips on the
South Fork American. Group and family discounts. 800-333-7238
- American Whitewater Expeditions – Exciting, affordable rafting adventures
since 1980. South and Middle Forks American River. Group discounts. 800-825-3205
- ARTA River Trips – Over 40 years of experience providing family and group
participation-oriented trips on 14 rivers throughout the west. 800-323-2782
- Big Flat Raft – A whitewater
rafting company in Northern California (Big Bar) that would love to share some seldom-run
rivers with you! At least ten runs ranging from class I to V. 800-418-9287.
- Earthtrek Expeditions – Whitewater rafting trips on the South, Middle and
North Forks of the American River. 800-229-8735
- ECHO River Trips – Idaho and
Oregon whitewater rafting on the finest multi-day rivers, Middle Fork Salmon and Rogue.
Now based in Hood River, OR. 800-652-ECHO (3246)
- Headwaters Adventure Company –
An oufitter and host on northern California flat waters, based in Redding. 530-351-4573.
- Helfrich River Trips –
A family owned and operated river outfitting business since 1925. Specializing in drift boat
fly fishing trips on the Rogue, McKenzie, Middle Fork of the Salmon, and Main Salmon canyons.
From western states 1-800-32-TROUT, or 541-726-5039.
- IRIE Rafting Company More than 15 years
of experience exploring California's beautiful and exciting whitewater rivers, including
the Truckee, Cal Salmon, Klamath, and the Middle and North Forks of the American.
Email email@example.com or call 530-582-4900.
- Kings River Expeditions Offering
California's finest whitewater rafting trips, mostly on the class III Kings River
just east of Fresno. 559-233-4881 or 800-846-3674.
- Mariah Wilderness Expeditions – Since 1982, providing whitewater raft trips
on seven California rivers, including American and Merced rivers. 800-462-7424
- Mother Lode River Center – Our
beautiful riverside camp features whitewater rafting, kayaking, outdoor school,
and ropes course activities. 530-626-4187
- Northwest Rafting – Specializes in
Oregon's Rogue River, including kayaking instruction, and the Futaleufu River in Chile.
- O.A.R.S. Whitewater Rafting in California
– Based out of Lotus on the South Fork of the American River, O.A.R.S. offers 1-day and
multi-day whitewater rafting adventures on the South Fork, Middle Fork, and North Fork American
rivers, since 1969. 530-626-5600 or toll free 855-541-4792.
- Orange Torpedo Trips – Over
38 years of guided inflatable kayak trips in Oregon, Idaho, and California. Join us sometime
on one of our 1-6 day camp and lodge trips. 541-479-5061.
- Raft Siberia – Specializing in
whitewater rafting adventures on spectacular Russian rivers. 916-624-5189
- River Dancers – Offers river
rafting and kayak trips, from thrilling whitewater adventures to serene floats for children
and families. Join us on rivers of northern California and eastern Oregon, including
the Upper Sacramento, Scott, Klamath, Upper Klamath, Trinity, and Owyhee. 800-926-5002.
- River Drifters – We are
an Oregon and Washington outfitter since 1979, offering whitewater rafting on eight
or more rivers. 800-972-0430
- River Mountain Action – Go with the professionals: exciting, fun South Fork
trips. One river, done right since 1979. firstname.lastname@example.org 800-762-7238
- River Runners – "Rafting is
thrilling, but it's also quietness, distance from distraction, and value of being together on the
river." One and two day whitewater rafting trips on forks of the American. 530-622-5110.
- River's Edge Kayak and Canoe
– Rents canoes so you can paddle the ever-popular Russian River from Alexander Valley
to Healdsburg in spring and early to mid summer. The upstream run starting at Asti is also
possible in springtime of most years.
- River Time Guide Service –
The main Salmon combines all the elements that bring people to wilderness river travel:
legendary whitewater, pristine scenery, abundant wildlife, sandy beaches, and traces of
American history unlike other North American rivers.
- Rock-N-Water –
Christian adventure summer camp in California for church and school youth groups. We offer
whitewater rafting, rock climbing, backpacking, and living history camps. 530-621-3918.
- Rogue River Outfitters – A
second generation family owned and operated guide and outfitter service offering either
whitewater or fishing trips on the Rogue river (and under a different name, Deschutes river).
Check out their blogs about
rafting and fishing.
- Rubicon Adventures – The only
(or one of a few) outfitters specializing in the Eel river! They also run the Cal Salmon,
Klamath, Trinity, Cache Creek, and South Fork American. Group charters and family rafting
since 1971. 707-887-2452
- Sunshine Rafting Adventures –
Operating on the Stanislaus River out of Knights Ferry, California for over 25 years.
- Six Rivers Rafting –
Fun, friendly & environmentally conscious whitewater rafting company offering
an assortment of trips on the Trinity, Klamath, and Smith Rivers (class I-V).
Raft, kayak, SUP available for rent in Willow Creek, CA. 707-599-4221.
- SOAR Russian River Adventures
– Rents inflatable canoes so you can paddle the scenic Russian River below Healdsburg.
A mile below put-in, releases from Sonoma reservoir increase the flow, so this stretch
is feasible even in late summer. 707-433-5599
- Tributary Whitewater Tours –
Offering more than twenty trips from 1/2 to 8 days, ranging
from rivers suitable for 4 year old youths to expert-only whitewater. 800-672-3846
- W.E.T. River Trips – Whitewater rafting
on the American River system since 1978. Specializing in group, corporate, and family
trips. Custom and standard packages available. 888-723-8938
- Whitewater Connection –
Rafting trips on South, Middle and North Forks of the American. Half, full, and 2-day trips.
Group and family discounts. 530-622-6446
- Whitewater Excitement –
California River Rafting specialists since 1978.
Trips on the South, Middle, and North Forks American, and Merced, plus kayak school.
PO Box 5992, Auburn CA 95604, 1-800-750-2386, email email@example.com
- Whitewater Voyages California Whitewater Rafting
– Rafting trips on 19 river runs. One of California's most experienced, popular,
and largest outfitters. 800-400-RAFT
- White Water Warehouse – Trips
on the Rogue river in southern Oregon, some including lodge visits. 800-214-0579
- Zephyr Whitewater – We operate trips
in California near Yosemite and Lake Tahoe on the American, Tuolumne, Merced, and Kings rivers.
Our trips range in length from 1/2 to 3 days. We have been in operation since 1973.
Unusual International Trips
Map of Rivers